Illinois pocket watch dating
In August 1890 a group of Aurora investors including Henry Cain and Charles D. By mid-1891 Henry Cain began designing a new line of railroad style movements. Total 16-size watch movement production exceeded 18-size watches by 1915.
Rood purchased the the Aurora Watch Company in Aurora, Illinois at auction. had been producing high-grade and mid-grade watches since 1884, however the company had gone into receivership in late 1889. In June 1892 a group composed of mostly Lancaster residents, including J. Grade movements manufactured evolved, including an upgraded escapement from single-roller to double-roller around 1906, were re-introduced as optionally factory cased in 1924, and upgraded with an Elinvar hair spring and monometalic balance in 1931.
The Lancaster Watch Company continued to suffer financial pains. During the 30 years of production the movements manufactured evolved, including an upgraded escapement from single-roller to double-roller around 1906, and an upgraded mainspring barrel from a going barrel to a motor barrel around 1908.
The company was reorganized again in 1886, this time as the Keystone Standard Watch Company, primarily selling lower quality watches. Grade was the corresponding 21-jewel, hunting case version, available from 1898 to 1920 was also popular with over 26,000 movements manufactured.
Henry J Cain replaced Bitner as superintendant in mid-1889 and began reorganizing the factory with the goal of introducing a new product line. Other 18-size pocket watch movements manufactured to meet railroad time service requirements included: Hamilton began producing 16-size watches for railroad service in 1896.
Cain left by mid-1890, and the Keystone Standard Watch Company soon went into bankruptcy. Popularity of 16-size movements had increased after the establishment of railroad standards in 1892, reaching 15% of production by the turn of the century.
Hamilton and Buren were operated as a joint concern. Watch manufacturing operations were moved to the Buren factory in Switzerland.
12-size pocket watch movements for gentlemen were introduced in 1909.Following a survey conducted in 1912 among official railroad watch inspectors, the company began advertising the fact that "Over one-half (almost 56%) of the Engineers, Conductors and Trainmen on the railroads of America where official time inspection is maintained carry the Hamilton Watch." Hamilton also produced 18-size and 16-size pocket watch movements for the Ball Watch Company, an estimated 100,000 movements were manufactured for Ball from 1895 to 1954.Most of these were grade " was trademarked by Ball in January 1896.The first Hamilton chronometers were delivered to the Navy in February 1942.In 1957, Hamilton introduced the world's first electric watch, the Hamilton Electric 500.